3 Creative Ways to Use a Tricky Corner
If you have an awkward corner in your house that you just don’t know what with, consider these 3 clever ideas to transform that wasted space into something functional and stylish.
Whether you work from home, need a spot to check email, or could use a designated location for your kids to do homework and work on projects, there’s no better place to create a small desk area than an unused corner of your home. The best part? It’s easier than you think. With just a few simple pieces you can turn that corner into a stylish and efficient mini office.
Start with versatile furniture pieces, such as a basic white desk and a neutral chair that will look good in just about any style of room. Then choose a patterned rug for interest, style and texture. Wall shelves above the desk are a great way to create extra storage and a display area. Remember to keep lighting in mind when making decisions on shelf placement, like if you need to leave room for a lamp.
- Shelves: Available in a wide range of styles and finishes, wall shelves can be chosen to fit your space and design style. A matching set of two or three shelves will not only help fill the wall, but will provide plenty of room for storage and display.
- Lighting: Consider brightening up your mini office area with a stylish lamp on the desk. Be sure to find something that doesn’t take up too much room, though. You don’t want to cut into valuable desktop real estate.
- Accessories: When styling your desk and shelves, keep things interesting by using a variety of functional and decorative items. Plants are a great addition to help soften the space, while art or framed photos personalize it. Remember to include a fun decorative object or two for a little added character. On a more functional note, a clock is a very useful addition.
- Office Essentials: You’re going to want easy access to necessities like pens, pencils, scissors and a stapler. Consider corralling these items with a stylish tray and matching pencil cup set.
Once your new workspace is all set up the way you want, watch your productivity go through the roof. Just imagine, no more working awkwardly from bed or on the sofa.
We could all use a little more time to unwind. Why not use your awkward corner to create a serene space dedicated to relaxation? Make it the perfect spot for curling up with a novel or sipping coffee in the morning while you catch up on the news. All you need is a comfy chair, a small side table to hold your snacks and current reading material, and wall shelves or a freestanding bookcase to house your books, magazines and other decorative accessories. An ottoman, a cozy pillow and throw blanket make nice touches as well.
- Books: It’s a given that a reading nook will need a stash of books and magazines. After all, you never know when you’ll be able to snag a few minutes to sit and read on a whim. If you work from home, this little nook can be the perfect place to refresh while you take a break from your desk and computer.
- Lighting: You definitely need proper lighting to read, so find a stylish lamp to light up your corner. While a table lamp might work well, consider a floor lamp. Not only are they space-saving, but they’re also easily positioned and will not take up precious room on your side table.
- Art: Uplifting artwork always makes a great addition, but especially for this space focused on relaxation. Choose art that helps clear your mind and gets you inspired.
- Accessories: Another way to add inspiration is through decorative objects that make you happy, such as a photograph, scented candle or favorite book. Fill your bookshelves with these types of items and let them do their magic.
Make your reading nook a cheerful place where you love to start your morning and actively seek out during the day to escape stress.
If you’re lacking space for your dream mudroom, consider turning an awkward corner into a small drop-zone near the entryway. Create a functional and stylish space with just a few easy-to-find items. To begin, find a rug that you can use to define the area and gather together shoes. Next, add a cute little bench where people can sit and put on or take off their jackets and footwear. You’ll also need a row of hooks for hanging your most-worn coats, bags and hats.
- Decor: A stylish pillow can be added to your bench for a sense of comfort. You can also find a statement piece of art to add character. A potted plant is a great way to bring life to your corner, while a mirror is a good idea for adding style and checking yourself on the way out the door.
- Lighting: Consider incorporating appropriate lighting to the area so everyone can see as they put on or take off outdoor garments and shoes. A dimmer switch is a good idea so that you have the bright light when you need it, but guests don’t feel like they’re in the spotlight when you greet them at the door.
Once your mini mudroom is set up and ready to go, you’ll be able to look forward to a warm welcome every time you step through the door.